Das Yamaha XT350-Forum ;-) (...und TT350!)

Buchempfehlung

>> direkt bestellen

Reparaturanleitung!

Buchempfehlung

>> direkt bestellen

Fahrtipps!

Buchempfehlung

>> direkt bestellen
14,95€

Trainingsbuch!

xt350.de Foren-Übersicht -> Motor & Co -> More questions... Gehen Sie zu Seite 1, 2  Weiter
Neuen Beitrag schreiben  Auf Beitrag antworten Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen 
More questions...
BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 02:19 Antworten mit Zitat
bwatson
Hügelhüpfer

Anmeldung: 17.02.2006

Hi,
I am new here and have just introduced myself over in the chassis forum. I have some motor questions as well:

Jetting - I know this is not a simple question and there is no one correct answer, but I would be interested to hear of others experience. The previous owner of my bike had removed rear baffles from the original exhaust and punched holes through the interior baffles. It looks (and sounds) to be pretty much straight through. One day I will buy a nice exhaust for it. I have read on the web pages of some aftermarket exhaust manufacturers that jetting changes are not required for the TT350 when fitting a sports exhaust, but mine does seem to run hot and I have seen posts here from people who have re-jetted. Is anyone willing to share their experience? That is, what changes did you make and what was the result?

De-compressor - when I was young (14 - 17) my father had a bike shop. I used to start things like XT/TT500s and SP/DR 370/400s. None of them had a de-compressor. I like things to be as simple as possible so I removed the de-compressor from my bike. I have a friend who is a machinist who made some aluminium plugs to fill the holes. Now reading here and one other place, it seems that it common to break the kick start shaft on these! Should I re-fit the de-compressor to (hopefully) extend the life of my kick start shaft??

Fuel tap seal - my fuel tap leaks. Even when turned off, fuel runs through. I opened it up and there is obvious damage to the rubber seal. I went to the Yamaha shop and ordered a new one. When it arrived it was just an o-ring. Mine is a flat rubber disc (maybe 15mm diameter) with 3 holes. The dealer suggests that my tap is wrong and that someone must have changed it in the past, but looking at photos of other bikes on the the Internet, the tap looks the same as mine (yes, I know they are small and it is hard to tell!). Has anyone else had this problem? What sort of seal is in your fuel tap?

Thanks for reading,

Brian
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 08:23 Antworten mit Zitat
Etti
Stollenbrecher

Anmeldung: 10.02.2005

Jetting: In most cases the XT/TT are running too rich anyway, so unless you go with pod air filters you should (!) be fine. Merely swapping the exhaust usually doesn´t require any re-jetting. There used to be a Factory Pro aftermarket jet kit for the XT350, I have one and can´t say it makes a lot of a difference.
What leads you to believe your´s would be running hot? Oil temp? Making strange noises? Partially melted spark plug? Cause with these aircooled engines if they "feel" hot they´ve probably just reached normal operating temps. But anyway, you being in Australia the probably best addition to your bike would be an oil cooler.

De-compressor: I removed the decompressing unit on my XT many years ago. Mainly because I didn´t trust the mechanism on the front of the cylinder to stay closed with all the dirt and mud thrown at it by the front tire. I´ve never had any issues with the kickstart shaft. I guess either I was (and still am) lucky or the other(s) with a brocken shaft had really bad luck. But OTOH I´d prefer to break a kickstart shaft than burn an exhaust valve on account of a malfunctioning decompressing unit.

Fuel tap / Petcock: The seal you got is the O-ring that seals the fuel tap assembly against the tank surface on the bottom of the fuel tank. What you most likely will require is the seal inside the fuel tap. You probably ordered the wrong part. Look at the parts fiche real close, you should be able to find the correct part.

BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 11:01 Antworten mit Zitat
bwatson
Hügelhüpfer

Jetting: thanks - I'll leave as is. I just "feel" it puts out a lot of heat - compared to my son's 1981 YZ80.

De-compressor: thanks - It's good to know that someone else has "survived" without one.

Petcock: I don't think so. The "fiche" at my dealer is the same as this one: http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=39739,4,0 I ordered item 17 even though it is obviously not the same as mine in the (stupid?) hope that the diagram was wrong and I would still get the right part. I'll pull mine apart on the weekend and post a photo.

Thanks,

Brian
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 11:41 Antworten mit Zitat
trischter
Profi-Supporter

Anmeldung: 20.12.2005

Hi and welcome here!
I guess there are various types of fuel-cocks. The that´s on the fiche, is the same I have on my Ténéré, on the TT I have the same type as you seem to have.
Click on "Links" on the left side menu and on the opening page the link under "Technisches".
It´s the yamaha-homepage with all the fiches of all types of bikes. there you can search for the right part you´re in need of, grab the parts-number an order it at your yamahadealer.
If you´re lucky, you get an seling-kit for the fuelcock,otherwise you will have to buy the complete fuelcockassy, as I had to for my tt600...Sad

BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 12:05 Antworten mit Zitat
Don Pedro
Profi-Supporter

Anmeldung: 09.03.2004

Hi brian,

take a look at

www.yamaha-motor.com.au

There you can find some downloads.(supports)

Also the drivers manual for your bike !

regards,
Peter

Gestern war morgen heute.
Ein Tippfehler und die ganze Signatur ist uriniert.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden

BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 12:12 Antworten mit Zitat
Etti
Stollenbrecher

Anmeldung: 10.02.2005

No surprise here that it puts out more heat than a YZ80. By far larger surface on the 350 to radiate heat. So there´s more to feel from.

If you want to make sure nothing´s overheating, check oil sump temp with a thermometer when hot or "feeling hot". Everything below 120-130 degC is fine with the engine, anything above 140 gives reason for concern.

On a side note: Generally, with the climate prevailing in Australia I guess an oil cooler wouldn´t be that bad an idea. Have a look around in this forum searching "Ölkühler" (yes, I know, the "Ö" and "ü" might pose a substantial challenge for your keyboard Smile ) which is German for "oil cooler", someone from here fit an aftermarket oil cooler to a XT/TT.

BeitragVerfasst am: 17.02.06, 12:37 Antworten mit Zitat
Don Pedro
Profi-Supporter

Attention !

Deutsch - Lektion für Brian Rolling Eyes

http://www.xt350.de/viewtopic.php?t=175&highlight=%D6lk%FChler

(wegen dem fehlenden "Ö") Wink Laughing

"jester" is the expert for Oil coolers. Wink

BeitragVerfasst am: 18.02.06, 07:21 Antworten mit Zitat
bwatson
Hügelhüpfer

trischter hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hi and welcome here!
Click on "Links" on the left side menu and on the opening page the link under "Technisches".
It´s the yamaha-homepage with all the fiches of all types of bikes. there you can search for the right part you´re in need of, grab the parts-number an order it at your yamaha dealer.

Good suggestion, but I have already tried that. I spent maybe half an hour and looked at quite a few different models. They all seemed to have the same petcock as the fiche says my bike has. I have also check web site for a few OEM parts suppliers, but they all seem to have "stolen" the Yamaha fiche.

I was hoping to get some suggestions from people that think they have the petcock I described on something other than a XT/TT350 (happy to take a photo if it will help) so I can check the fiche for their bike.

Thanks,

Brian

BeitragVerfasst am: 18.02.06, 07:30 Antworten mit Zitat
bwatson
Hügelhüpfer

Don Pedro hat folgendes geschrieben::
Attention !

Deutsch - Lektion für Brian Rolling Eyes

http://www.xt350.de/viewtopic.php?t=175&highlight=%D6lk%FChler

My 12 year old son is learning German at school - I will have to get him in to translate for me Smile

I have already read that thread using Google translate. I don't think an oil cooler mounted in that position would survive on my bike - it would get clogged with mud and I also doubt it would clear my fender. Looking at the header pipes (which look VERY nice to me!!) I am guessing that is some sort of motard bike? I'd like to see pictures of the whole bike - I don't think it is in the gallery here?

Thanks,

Brian

BeitragVerfasst am: 18.02.06, 09:17 Antworten mit Zitat
Don Pedro
Profi-Supporter

Hi Brian,

to translate is much work for your son . Crying or Very sad

.. but allready better than google Cool

Good news for you :
I got the microfiches for the TT 350. I will look for the numbers of the petcock.

But first , the picture of the "Beck's Yamaha TT 350"
(also in gallerie, TT - pics, page 4)

BeitragVerfasst am: 18.02.06, 09:58 Antworten mit Zitat
bwatson
Hügelhüpfer

But first , the picture of the "Beck's Yamaha TT 350"
(also in gallerie, TT - pics, page 4)

Ah, yes - I did see that one in the gallery, but did not recognise it from this photo. That exhaust would not last long on my bike Smile But I still love the look of those big bore headers!

Brian

BeitragVerfasst am: 18.02.06, 10:13 Antworten mit Zitat
Don Pedro
Profi-Supporter

Hi Brian,

that bike will be a "special construction" for riding through africa .
(like ralley dakar)

Much sand, therefor the low fender, and because of the rear tanks, the muffler is put down.
Very high seat position for long distances.
Special fuel tank with 30 ltr. volume and two rear tanks with 18 ltrs.

Peter

BeitragVerfasst am: 18.02.06, 20:02 Antworten mit Zitat
trischter
Profi-Supporter

bwatson hat folgendes geschrieben::

My 12 year old son is learning German at school - I will have to get him in to translate for me Smile

Might be a little bit of work but will get him further...Wink
In Germany some kids try to read Harry Potter in english at the age of 12;- translating technical articles may be even more helpful when searching for work later...Wink

Regarding the petcocks i have to say "shame on me": i had a look on all the ones I have and the one on my 350 is exactly the same as on the microfiche.
The petcock on the TT600 is the one you are looking for. It´s a ´92
type 3SW imported from Japan. But, as I said before: there´s no sealing kit sold for this type;- I´m afraid you will have to buy the complete cock...Sad

BeitragVerfasst am: 19.02.06, 12:52 Antworten mit Zitat
Baffo
Steilhang-Roder

Anmeldung: 25.07.2005

Make a picture of the petcock and/or membrane/thing you need and send it to www.kedo.com (page 76 has repairsets)
Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen

BeitragVerfasst am: 19.02.06, 15:55 Antworten mit Zitat
trischter
Profi-Supporter

Yes, but there is no for the TT600. And beside that there will be the fact, that shipping to Australia won´t be cheaper than buying an new petcock in Sydney...

BeitragVerfasst am: 20.02.06, 10:08 Antworten mit Zitat
Don Pedro
Profi-Supporter

Hi Brian,

part number of the whole petcock :

1 LN 24500-01-00

it will cost round about 40.- Euros (60Au$)

From Yamaha it doesn't exist a repair set.

Peter

BeitragVerfasst am: 20.02.06, 10:15 Antworten mit Zitat
trischter
Profi-Supporter

my words since days...Wink

Jetting and such
BeitragVerfasst am: 20.02.06, 19:49 Antworten mit Zitat
Santa
Semi-Profi

Anmeldung: 20.02.2006

I'm new to the forum as well. I've raced my TT in the desert and in enduros for many years. I live at 6500 feet or about 1800 meters. My TT has a ported head and a K&N airfilter. I have found that it is important that you keep both carbs somewhat balanced, my TT came with a 122 main and a 125 secondary main stock from Yamaha. Right now I'm running a 116 main and a 120 secondary main. It runs smooth no hickups and so forth. A well adjusted decompression release works great, makes starting a breeze. I used to run a Supertrapp exhaust on it but have since found that it is too loud for woods riding, don't want to get anyone mad at loud bikes and then close down the forests to bikes.

Klaus
Santa Fe, NM, USA

BeitragVerfasst am: 20.02.06, 23:32 Antworten mit Zitat
bwatson
Hügelhüpfer

trischter hat folgendes geschrieben::

my words since days...Wink

But, they were not nice words Smile I want someone to give me the part number for just the rubber gasket Crying or Very sad There is something wrong with my brain that will not let me buy a whole petcock when the only problem is the little rubber that can easily be replaced - if it existed.

Thanks,

Brian

BeitragVerfasst am: 21.02.06, 11:06 Antworten mit Zitat
trischter
Profi-Supporter

Sorry, mate, thats how it is: you can´t get the piece of rubber from Yamaha, you can´t get a complete repair-kit from Yamaha, you can only get the complete petcock from Yamaha.
And, I´m afraid, you won´t get these single parts nowhere else... Twisted Evil
My suggestion: remove the cock from the tank and look for one from another modell that fits. That won´t be too hard, because Yamaha doesn´t manufacture these petcocks by themselves;- they buy it. And for that reason, the holes and threads in the tank will have to have a special shape/order, so that you can use a petcock from a modell that has the same.
(I think, the one you have on your TT is not the original used one, because I can´t find it on any microfiche and on my 600 it is original. So you easily will have to find the right one, which is original on your TT)

More questions...
  xt350.de Foren-Übersicht -> Motor & Co
Sie können keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Sie können auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Sie können Ihre Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Sie können Ihre Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Sie können an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde  
Seite 1 von 2  
Gehen Sie zu Seite 1, 2  Weiter

Neuen Beitrag schreiben  Auf Beitrag antworten  

Basiernd auf: phpBB 2.0.11, Theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin, modified